New (Healthy) Holiday Traditions
As you officially kick off the holiday season after turning the corner on Thanksgiving, why not introduce a new star to your holiday baking line-up this year. In fact, I highly recommend these high protein, antioxidant-rich Peanut Butter Crunch Cookies become a new star year-round!!
So many holiday cookies and candy recipes are overloaded with sugar, fat, calories and artificial EVERYTHING. But these delicious treats will definitely keep you close to nature (and health) since they are lightly sweetened with honey and dried fruit and loaded with natural peanut butter and seven whole-grain cereal. They're about as NATURAL as you can get – and they're absolutely delicious! Besides being close to nature and full of energy-enhancing goodness, they require NO cooking on the stove or baking in the oven!! Talk about a win-win-win during the busy holiday season – healthy, tasty AND easy!!! And I always have ALL the ingredients stocked in my pantry. Now THAT'S a sure sign of a lasting tradition in the making!
Peanut Butter Crunch Cookies
(makes 28 cookies)
¾ cup of natural peanut butter
¼ cup of honey
½ tsp of vanilla
1 tsp of cinnamon Mix together in a medium sized bowl.
3 cups of Kashi Go Lean cereal
Mix in until cereal is evenly coated with the peanut butter mixture.
½ cup of Eden Organic Dried Blueberries, Cherries or Cranberries (or any combination)
Mix dried fruit in gently. Using wet hands and a little pressure, press into walnut sized balls. (Place a small bowl of water at your work space to conveniently wet hands often. It will take a little patience to get them to stick together.) Store at room temperature.
Nutrition information: 1 cookie
Calories: 75 Fat: 3.5g
Calories from Fat: 42% Sat fat: .5g
Fiber: 2g Sodium: 31mg Total Carb: 9g
Cholesterol: 0mg Protein: 3g Sugars: 5g
Holiday Breakfasts fit for Sugar Plum Fairies
and Santa's Helpers
In addition to adding a new star to your holiday baking tradition, here are a few breakfast favorites of mine that fit easily into my busy schedule and treat my family and guests like Winter Royalty.
Breakfast Casserole - Take your guests for a crisp morning walk while this bakes!
Homemade Turkey Sausage - I always have some in my freezer, ready and handy
Glazed Cinnamon Nut Buns - A definite holiday must that's sure to please
Pumpkin Oat Bran Bread or Muffins - Great for breakfast, as gifts or anytime treat
"Zonyacized" Gift-Giving Ideas
Looking for the ideal gifts for your loved ones this holiday season? Instead of giving restaurant gift certificates, boxes of candy or boring sweaters and ties, consider Fitness Kits and “Healthy Gift Baskets.” (Note to self: Put these on MY OWN wish list!)
Fitness Kit Ideas:
- Exercise band, yoga mat or fitness ball with a favorite video/DVD or book. (I suggest browsing www.collagevideo.com for great video/DVD ideas.)
- Basket full of golf balls and tees or tennis balls with some fun socks (great encouragement for your loved one to stay active)
- Gift certificate to a batting cage, YMCA, fitness class or session with a personal trainer
- Day pass to an indoor water park for the entire family
Healthy AND Delicious Gift Baskets:
- Organic Gift Baskets from Eden Foods. My favorites are the “Snack Pack Basket,” “Popcorn Basket” and “Mug and Teas.” (And Michigan natives are sure to love the “Michigan Basket” highlighting products all from Michigan.)
- An autographed copy of Lickety-Split Meals with ingredients to your favorite recipe -- all hand selected by you. Add a copy of Water with Lemon and few DVD’s packed in a bright red tote back, and your loved ones will love you back forever! You add the recipe ingredients and I’ll do the rest with my Power Pack Special. (Make sure you add your autograph request in the Comments box of the on-line order form.)
Regardless of which gift ideas best fit your needs, make sure to order early!!
Look for "Zonya's Health Bites" on your local PBS station for practical grocery tips, fun in the kitchen with delicious recipes, everyday fitness and more inspiration, education and "Power of One Good Habit" lessons. Make sure to check out our station listings on the Web site and contact your local PBS station if they aren't already airing it.
Contact Your Local PBS Station if You Want to See "Zonya's Health Bites" If your station has recently stopped airing the show, contact the station and let them know how much you miss it. If your station has NEVER carried the show and you want to see it, let them know you’d love to watch it. We'll help you find your station here: Click and Call
Get Motivated. Stay Motivated.
Make sure to visit my Web site often to hear a new Motivational Minute each Monday.
Share the Health
Don't keep all this good stuff to yourself – "share the health" and forward this e-NEWS to a friend by clicking the link below!
Happy Holiday to You and Yours this Season!!
See You in 2008!!